These are some of the most frequently asked questions. If you have a question and do not find the answer on this page please feel free to contact our office at (906) 667-0233, we would be happy to assist you

When do I need to get a permit from the Gogebic County Road Commission? Do I need one even if I do the work myself? 

YES, anytime a person or a business does any construction in the County right-of-way (normally 66 feet - 33 feet in each direction from the center of the road) a permit needs to be obtained. The Road Commission inspects each proposed drive location to assure that adequate sight distance is available, to determine what drainage improvement might be necessary, and to review the site for other potential safety problems before a permit is issued. Permits can be found in the "County Permit" section.

Are there any fees associated with obtaining a permit from the Road Commission? 

YES. Please refer to our Permit Fee Schedule

What is the Gogebic County Road Commission Driveway Policy? 

At its regular meeting held on February 19, 2001, the Board of County Road Commissioners of Gogebic County passed the following rules regarding driveway culverts.  Policy #3 was added at a regular meeting held on April 16, 2001. Policy #4 (Work performed without obtaining a permit) was added at a regular meeting on June 22, 2015.

NEW DRIVEWAY:  Anyone constructing a new driveway within Road Commission right-of-way will be required to secure a permit from the Road Commission office.  The County Engineer and/or Road Foreman will determine the size and length of the culvert to be installed.  The cost of the installation of the new driveway and driveway culvert will be the responsibility of the property owner.
REPLACEMENT DRIVEWAY CULVERT:  If, in the opinion of the Road Commission, a private driveway culvert placed in Road Commission right-of-way, deteriorates or fails to the extent that it ceases to function, the property owner will be responsible for the full cost of the culvert.
DRIVEWAY EXTENSION CULVERT:  The property owner is responsible for the full cost of the extension culvert. However, the County Engineer and/or Road Foreman will inspect the work to make sure the extension is done properly.

WORK PERFORMED PRIOR TO OBTAINING PERMIT:  Anyone performing work within Road Commission right-of-way without obtaining an approved permit will be charged double the above fees.  A 30-day notice will be forwarded to the owner of the property.   If after the 30-day notice has expired and an approved permit and fees are not on file at the Road Commission Office, the culvert at the identified location will be removed at the owners expense and may result in court action.

At its regular meeting held on July 27, 2015 the Board of County Road Commissioners of Gogebic County passed the following rules regarding driveway culverts and included #4 under the Driveway Culvert Policy:

  • Gogebic County Road Commission will discontinue selling culverts to the public for  driveway installation in the county right-of-way. 
  • Gogebic County Road Commission will not install driveway culverts.

What is the average snowfall in Gogebic County? 

The seasonal average since 1957 is 197.3". Click here to see the full report of seasonal snowfall totals and averages.

What is the Gogebic County Road Commission Mailbox Policy? 

Mailbox Policy​
Mailbox and/or Support Replacement Policy
(As revised at a regular meeting dated January 16, 2017)

A motion was made by Commissioner Matonich, 2nd by Vice-Chair D’Antonio, with all in favor to revise the current policy.

Mailboxes and supports erected on county road right-of-way must comply with the following criteria:

  1. Mailbox is in the direction of the carrier’s route of travel, except on one-way streets.
  2. Mailbox height is between 42 inches and 48 inches above the road surface.
  3. Mailbox face is between 8 inches and 12 inches from the outside edge of the road shoulder or 6 inches to 12 inches from the curb.

Mailbox near an intersection is no closer than 100 feet from the intersecting road. Mailbox supports should be nominal 4 inch by 4 inch or 4½ inch diameter wood posts or 1½ inch to 2 inch diameter standard steel or aluminum pipe posts, embedded no more than 24 inches into the ground and are the maximum strength supports that should be considered.

If all of the above criteria are met concerning mailbox supports and location, and the mailbox or support is physically hit by county road commission equipment (this does not include snow that is discharged from the plow) the county road commission will then issue a $20 voucher to the property owner for the mailbox or a $30 voucher to the property owner for the mailbox & support.

Can I push the snow across the roadway? 

NO. Piling snow high along public roadways and shoulders or pushing the snow to the opposite side of the road can cause hazardous conditions for motorists. These actions are against the law (Act 82 of Public Acts of 1978) and violators leave themselves open to fines and lawsuits for public liability and property damage.

I pay property taxes, why aren't you fixing my road? 

Contrary to popular belief, the Gogebic County Road Commission does not receive any property tax monies. All general money is received through the Michigan Transportation Fund (MTF). These funds are generated by the fuel taxes and vehicle registration fees. 

Who determines speed limits and how can I get the speed limit changed on my road? 

The Michigan State Police (MSP) is responsible for setting speed limits. More information can be found on their website by clicking here

How are plow routes prioritize?

The Road Commission’s philosophy on snow and ice control is to provide service when and where it is needed first.  Prioritizing the service level of our road system will allow maximizing of our efforts on high volume routes in order to clear these roads first – where a majority of people use the road system.  The proposed Priority levels include the following:

Priority 1: State Highway Trunkline (US-2, US-45, M-64 and M-28)
Service level for Priority 1 roads is dictated by MDOT for which the Road Commission receives a “Letter of Understanding” outlining the level of service.  The MDOT service level for all state highways in Gogebic County have been designated “Blue Routes”.

Blue Routes provide maintenance service as appropriate under prevailing weather conditions with a goal of providing a pavement surface generally bare of ice and snow in the center portion wide enough for one‐wheel track in each direction. 

Priority 2: County Road Primary System
The service level is set at a higher priority level than Secondary Roads due to the larger traffic volume and/or intra-county roads. Plowing shall be completed during the same day of the storm event. 

Priority 3: County Road Secondary System
These are roads with minimal traffic other than a few full time residents.  Plowing will be reduced and/or delayed until the next day (depending on the amount of accumulation or number of residents). 

Priority 4: County Roads – with no full time residents.
County road segments with no full time residents residing during the winter months will be classified as Priority 4 roads.  The roads are sometimes referred to as “camp roads” will be plowed on a limited basis through the winter season.  Foremen and/or Manager shall review snow accumulations on these roads to schedule plowing in series with their regular routes.  Typically, Priority 4 roads will be plowed later in the week (Thursday or Friday) or as time allows.  If large accumulation of snow continues, roads with full time residents become a priority and plowing of Priority 4 roads may from time to time be delayed a week until time permits.  If roads become un-plowable with normal equipment, the Road Commission will discontinue snowplowing for the remainder of the winter season. No overtime will be spent plowing these roads out.

Currently, the Road Commission has identified approximately 88.48 miles of roadway to consider placement in Priority 4 status.  They are as follows:

Bessemer Township - Priority 4 Roads – (1.4 miles)
Oak Lane -- North 0.15 miles to dead end
Elm Lane -- 0.25 miles
Koski Road -- 1.0 miles

Erwin Township - Priority 4 Roads – (9.62 miles)
McDonald Dam Road -- East 1.75 miles to dead end
Mosinee Grade -- West 7.87 miles

Ironwood Township - Priority 4 Roads – (10.59 miles)
W. Airport Road -- West 1.35 miles
Barrier Dam Lane -- 1.36 miles
Saari Lane -- South 0.25 miles
Copper Peak Road -- North 0.93 miles
Norlund Road -- North 1.25 miles

Partridge Lane -- North 0.75 miles
Partridge Lane -- South 1.10 miles
Fire Lane -- 1.0 miles
Upper Powers Road -- 1.75 miles
Stub road off Lake Road -- 0.10 miles
** Big Springs Road -- 0.25 miles (City of Ironwood shall plow this road)

Wakefield Township - Priority 4 Roads -  (17.81 miles)
South Boundary Road -- 6.36 miles
Planters Road -- West 1.25 miles

Old M-28 -- 7.8 miles
Rydeski Road -- 0.4 miles

Great Lakes Road -- East 2.0 miles

Marenisco Township - Priority 4 Roads – (37.05 miles)
Dunham Road -- West 4.5 miles
Hills Farm Road -- 0.5 miles
Copps Mine Road -- North 5.0 miles
Pomeroy Lake Road (CR 525)
N. Oxbow Lake Road -- NE 9.0 miles
Maznec Road -- 2.1 miles

S. Thayer Road (CR 527)
W. Cisco Lake Road -- NE 4.0 miles
Dinky Road -- 3.75 miles
Heart Lake Road -- 2.0 miles
Svoke Road (USFS 7300) -- 0.8 miles
C.C. Road -- 2.4 miles

Old US-2 East -- 1.75 miles
W. Cisco Lake Road
Langford Lake Road SE 1.25 miles

Watersmeet Township - Priority 4 Roads – (12.01 miles)
Russ Road -- 2.0 miles
Marion Lake Boat Landing -- 0.4 miles
Military Road -- 0.75 miles
Unnamed Road – S of Duck Lake Road -- 0.2 miles
Old US-45 -- North 1.6 miles
Little Fisher Road -- 0.25 miles
Damon Lake Road -- 1.31 miles
Miller Lake Road -- 1.0 miles
Clearwater Lake Road -- East 1.0 miles
Fire Tower Road -- South 2.5 miles
Albino Road -- 0.6 miles
Heymans Oxbow Road -- 0.4 miles

What is the policy regarding snowmobiles operating on county roads? 

The GCRC policy on operating snowmobiles within county right-of-way can be found here

Can I drive my ORV on the roadway in Gogebic County? 

The Gogebic County Road Commission does not set the ORV ordinance for Gogebic County. The ordinance is set by the Gogebic County Board of Commissioners and can be found here

When do seasonal weight restrictions go into effect in Gogebic County?

You can click here for the average date of when the restrictions go into effect and when they are typically lifted.